Educational leave

Improve your language skills during your educational leave in Frankfurt.

To the educational leave »

Educational leave in Frankfurt

Educational leave is a special form of leave and is used for professional, political and general further education. In most of the federal states there is educational leave, including in Hesse. If you as an employee are entitled to educational leave according to the Bildungsurlaubsgesetz, your employer releases you from work for the duration of the educational leave (usually one or two weeks). This means that you will receive paid leave for your participation in the educational leave.

The intensive language courses at our language school in Frankfurt are recognized as Bildungsurlaub for language courses in English, German, Spanish, French and Italian. Educational leave as a language course is particularly popular and can also be advantageous for your employer. For example, if English language skills are important for your job, your employer may well contribute to the cost of the language course.

You would like to take your educational leave abroad? We will gladly inform you about the possibilities!

Frequently asked questions about educational leave

According to the Bildungsurlaubsgesetz (Educational Leave Act), every employee who is employed full-time in a company for at least six months is entitled to one week or 5 working days of educational leave per calendar year.

In Hesse and many other federal states, employees are entitled to one week of further training per year with continued payment of wages; the entitlement of 2 years can be accumulated.

Information on the Employee Further Education Act, on which the entitlement to educational leave is based, can be obtained from the competent office in your federal state.

The Hessian Ministry of Social Affairs is responsible for Hessen:

Hessian Ministry of Social Affaairs
- Department IV 8B -
Dostojewskistraße 4
65187 Wiesbaden

Tel.: 0611 / 817 - 3673
Fax: 0611 / 890 - 8421

Educational leave usually lasts one week. Your employer does not have to grant you a longer special leave. If you would like to go on a two-week language trip, you must carry over your entitlement from one year to the next. You must inform your company of this wish in writing in time for the turn of the year.

Yes, you determine the type and objective of the educational leave. The only important thing for your employer is that the courses comply with the guidelines. There must be at least 6 hours of instruction per day and the course must be held in a block of at least 3 days at a stretch. This means that our intensive courses and language trips are recognised as educational leave.

During educational leave, you continue to receive your regular salary. If you participate in educational leave courses lasting several weeks, you only have to claim part of it as educational leave from your employer.

In recent years, the Federal Fiscal Court has made it easier for employees to deduct the costs of a foreign language course as income-related expenses. It is important to explain to the tax office that the language course was exclusively work-related or business-related. To do this, you need a corresponding letter from your employer. Sprachcaffe will be happy to provide you with a timetable and an invoice for the course fees.

Improve your business English in a language course

Take our Business English Language Course in Frankfurt
and increase your confidence in business negotiations in English!

To the Business English Language Course

You can find all Bildungsurlaub language courses in Germany and abroad in our catalogue.

Browse online now!

Apply for educational leave in three steps: This is how it works

1. Planning with the employer

Check with your employer in good time to find a suitable time for the special leave. It usually lasts one week, but it is also possible to carry over the entitlement from the previous year to the next year, thus extending the educational leave. Our intensive courses start regularly; the exact starting dates can be found in the respective course information.

2. Registration at Sprachcaffe

You register in writing for a language course at Sprachcaffe and immediately receive a confirmation of registration for your employer. This will certify that you are registered for a recognised educational course. We recommend registering with us at least 2-3 months before the course starts. Some employers contribute to the costs of educational leave, please ask them.

3. Confirmation for your employer

After completing the educational leave course, you will receive a certificate from us for your employer confirming proper participation in the educational leave. You submit this certificate to your employer after completing the course.

Educational leave for language courses

In order to meet the requirements for educational leave in the context of continuing vocational training, the language course must take place for at least 6 hours a day. In this respect, an intensive course must be booked in order to apply for educational leave.

Simply select the language you want and register for the intensive course there, leaving a note that you would like to take part in the language course as educational leave. We will then be happy to help you with the further formalities.

Standard or Intensive Course: German as a Foreign Language

Start your educational leave and improve your German as a foreign language.

Start your German course »
Standard or Intensive Course: English and Business English

Improve your job opportunities with the help of a Business English course.

Start your English course »
Educational leave for Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese

Improve the language of your choice during your educational leave in Frankfurt.

Start your language course »

You would like to register or have questions about educational leave in Frankfurt or our intensive courses?

We look forward to your request!